Wednesday, December 3, 2014

3: The Comic Strip




Krazy Kat by George Herriman

I personally really seemed to be drawn to the Krazy Kat comics by George Herriman this week. I found it much deeper than its slapstick exterior led most to believe it was. To me Krazy Kat was art and I feel like Harriman really tried to draw jazz in a way, it’s a bit hard to explain but the strip feels like jazz. The way the characters speak in this sort of creole accent or yidish makes it feel so alive. The overall plot is quite simple if you really want to analyze its goals. It’s a strip about a mouse that wants to throw a brick at a cat and a dog that wants to stop them. But to the intellectual mind it is so much more than that. Politics and romance somehow get rapped up in this conflict between cat and mouse without it ever truly admitting to its intensions and that’s why it’s amazing. For something that is so simple on an exterior level it holds within it the complexities of life. Krazy Kat to me is about love and love is as complex of a problem as we are ever going to find. Anyways I read it and became a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment