Friday, December 5, 2014

6: Underground Comix


Crumb by Terry Zwigoff


This week I’m choosing to write about the film Crumb by Terry Zwigoff and a comic because I believe it is one of the best Documentaries ever made and it is deeply influential to my work. I love Robert Crumb’s work and I’ve read a lot of comics made by him and of the time period and I love it. I find it very self reflective, the artists are just being so honest with their audience and really seem to be drawing from their subconscious rather than trying to build any sort pre arranged narrative. Say what you want to say about them whether that the work is bulgur, violent, sexist blah blah to me it’s still art and I hold it in high regard because it takes a lot of courage for an artist to reveal themselves to the world in that manner and the bravest of them all is Robert Crumb. The film tells the story of Robert Crumb, his brothers Max and Charles, and an American childhood that looks normal in old family photos but truly conceals some deep wounds and secrets. It is the kind of film that you watch in disbelief, as layer after layer is peeled away, and you begin to understand what has kept Crumb alive. What kept him alive was his art I look at him for reference not because I want my art to look like his but because I want my art to be as honest as possible I never want to sell my talents to a corporation and be stuck for the rest of my life. It makes me look at my art and really ask myself why I chose to do this. So yeah…I love this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment